Monday, February 20, 2017

I would never think of borrowing a cup of sugar from a neighbour. Here's why that's a good thing.

A while back, a politician said that she moved out of Toronto because she felt it lacked community, citing as an example “I would never go next door and ask my neighbour for a cup of sugar. It just wouldn’t happen.

This led to a brief flurry of journalists attempting to borrow sugar and documenting the results, but I didn't give it much thought, until it bubbled up in my mind in the shower today and it occurred to me:

I would never, ever even consider knocking on my neighbour's door to borrow a cup of sugar, literally or metaphorically. It just wouldn't happen.

And the reason for that has absolutely nothing to do with my neighbours. And absolutely everything to do with my neighbourhood.

I chose my neighbourhood because it's easy and convenient. And part of being easy and convenient is having stores that sell and services that provide nearly everything I might ever need all within the immediate neighbourhood.  I can get a boxspring, a biopsy and a bridesmaid dress all within easy walking distance.  And, more importantly, I can get sugar - or any other foodstuff I might need - within a two-minute walk, 24/7/365.

Many urban neighbourhoods - especially high-density neighbourhoods - are like this.  There's no need to bother your neighbours because the neighbourhood infrastructure and amenities meet your needs.

That's a sign of a successful, functioning community, where people can get what they need through the normal mechanisms and infrastructure, without having to even consider imposing upon the kindness of - or being at the mercy of - those who happen to be in the vicinity.

2 comments:

laura k said...

A, I don't know why anyone needs a cup of sugar. Are you baking? If so, why are you baking without sugar, and if you are that disorganized that you would begin baking without first checking your ingredients, can't the baking wait? Or is your sugar need for tea or coffee? Then you don't need a cup of sugar. Drink the beverage without sugar, or don't drink it until you buy some.

B, why are you bothering a neighbour for a non-emergency need? Who does that? Even growing up in a friendly 1960s suburbs, no one bothered a neighbour for something so trivial.

C, communities aren't about borrowing things. That's not what makes a community. Look at the way Toronto responded to impending cuts in library services. That's a community in action.

D, having lived in both suburban and urban environments, I know that urban environments have a much greater sense of community. I haven't lived in a rural environment, so I can't compare that, but did this politician leave Toronto for a farm?

E, my suburban neighbourhood functions much the same way as you're describing. We can get anything we want, fairly close at hand. Not walking distance, as in a more urban neighbourhood, but close enough. Why involve a neighbour?

Yes, this is a pet peeve of mine!

impudent strumpet said...

She left Toronto for a place called Clearview Township, which the internet tells me has a population of 14,000. I can't tell if it's more suburban or rural.

But yeah, what I appreciate about the community in Toronto is people help when help is needed, but don't meddle when it isn't. Social media banded together to reunite a much-loved teddy bear with its family, but are careful not to stare at the grown man who hangs out in the library holding a teddy bear nearly as big as himself.