Friday, September 19, 2014

Typing is slow in Gmail

For the last couple of weeks, when I try to type a reply in Gmail, typing is really slow.  The letters are appearing at about half the speed at which I type, and every once in a while there's a "hiccup" so some of the letter I type don't appear.  I haven't changed anything about my browser (Firefox), and I've been using Gmail in this browser forever.

Googling around the idea, I see different people having the same problem with different browsers, which suggests it might be Gmail.

A workaround is to click on the "In new window" icon, which is a little arrow at the top right, next to the printer icon, above the "reply"  icon and the date".  Amateurish screenshot:

Nevertheless, this is less convenient, so I hope Gmail fixes this slow typing problem so we can once again reply on the same page.

2 comments:

laura k said...

I had this problem with my netbook when it was dying. Now I wonder if that was coincidence and the problem was Gmail all along.

Barbara said...

Just recently I started having problems with slow typing on Gmail. My husband suggested that maybe my old messages needed cleaning up. I rarely open my Promotions tab but I did and was shocked to see over 9,000 messages. I deleted over 7,000 of them and what a difference that made the next day. Back to normal. This might not be your problem, but it was mine.