Thursday, January 02, 2014

Teach me how to store my earrings

I have a lovely wooden jewellery box.  It's lined in velvet or some reasonable facsimile thereof, with all kinds of neat little compartments.  And it's utterly unsuitable for the jewellery I actually own - the sizes and shapes of the compartments simply don't correspond with the sizes and shapes of the jewellery, so my jewellery is currently all sitting in a tangled pile on top of the compartments, making it impossible for the box to close.

I've already worked out that I need a necklace tree for my necklaces, but that still raises the question of what to do about my earrings.  Some necklace trees have a little tray at the bottom that you can put earrings in, but I'd prefer something that keeps them more contained.  Googling around this idea, I see suggestions to use ice cube trays or egg cartons, but that would take up more room than I'd like. But, at the same time, I'd like to be able to see what I have at a glance rather than having to dig through.

I have probably between 10 and 20 pairs of earrings.  (I've never actually counted, and I keep finding ones I've forgotten about because they're currently being stored in this tangle of jewellery.)  I'd like a storage solution that enables me to acquire earrings willy-nilly without having to worry about whether I have space for them in my earring organization system. Most of my earrings are hoop or drop styles, but there are some studs in there too.  The vast majority of them are cheap; none of them are expensive.  The smallest are tiny little studs, and the largest are about 2 inches.  I don't plan for any future earring purchases to go much more than 2 inches in diameter for hoops, but I might go longer than that for dangles if they're lightweight.

Any suggestions?  How do you store your earrings?

6 comments:

laura k said...

I had no luck storing my earrings until I found a special earring holder. It is picture here.

laura k said...

This might not work for you as well as it did for me. I rarely wear studs. The few studs I own - or if I lose one earring but want to hang onto the single - I put in the two little drawers. But the holder works best for dangles, and second-best for hoops.

impudent strumpet said...

About how big is it?

laura k said...

I just measured it. It's 10 inches long and 4 inches deep. There are three tiers for hanging earrings, graduated in steps. So at the back, it's 4-1/2 inches tall, but in the front it's 2-1/2 inches in height.

In fact, the one I linked to above is an approximation. This is the exact one I have.

impudent strumpet said...

Update: my solution is here

daretoeatapeach said...

I keep mine in a velvet heart-shaped chocolate box once given to me by a suitor. The silver tray that separates each chocolate is the perfect size for an earring or four.