Monday, June 15, 2009

Childfree for Dummies: Part V

Some people dismiss our self-identification as childfree because they themselves used to not want children, but grew to want children when they got older.

As it happens, I used to want children. When I was 10, 11, 12 years old, I had what I can best describe as a strong biological yearning for to have a baby, and even as old as 14 the idea held appeal for me. Nothing ever came of it because mentally and socially I hadn't reached the point where even kissing a boy seemed like a pleasant way to pass the time. But as I grew up and matured, I came to realize that it wasn't actually children I wanted. I wanted a living breathing visible sign to show the world that someone loved me, and when that desire met my newfound flood of hormones it manifested itself as a yearning for a baby.

Does that invalidate your desire to have children, making it merely a childish phase that you will grow out of?

1 comment:

laura k said...

"Some people dismiss our self-identification as childfree because they themselves used to not want children, but grew to want children when they got older."

When I was younger, this DROVE ME CRAZY.

The assumption that what happened to them will therefore happen to me.

That their experience is universal.

They lack all imagination. They are close-minded. They don't know how to listen. They are stupid.

Your analogy to previously wanting children and out-growing that belief is GREAT.